Saturday, June 4, 2011

HOLY LINGUISTIC!

I Just saw on TV (@ 7:45pm, 3rd June, 2011)-- His Holiness Shri Shri Ramdev Baba claimed that the central government has agreed to teaching medicine and engineering in regional languages.
So

1) there are 24 languages and 576 dialects, at least.

2)is ka matlab hain ki all text-books (desi & videsi) are to be translated in least in 8-10 languages if not 24.
Question is not when(if one thinks about the necessary infrastructure) but the sahi disha.
3) toh agar, 5 yrs down the line a 3rd year Tamil undergraduate med student shall want to exchange ideas with a Gujarati counterpart, we will need 2 translators - Tamil & Gujrati. Or dono ko Gujarati or Tamil me expert (tell me the Hindi word for 'expert' -- I am ashamed for my ignorance).

4) the cliché argument is all countries (the maximum brunt is borne by European & South American countries) speak, and work in their own national languages. I wonder how many countries have got at least 5 other registered regional languages in addition to the national one.

5)Main yeh janna chahunga ki if a Mizo doctor is discussing medicine with a Spanish (Basque or Catalan) in a medical conference in Tokyo attended by 50 Japanese doctors, how things shall proceed even with the help of electronic translator. I want to know.

6) if a research is being conducted by a team of 5 doctors, Punjabi, Marathi, Bihari, Telegu and Assamese, what shall be the language for constant interaction. And that of the research papers. So there shall be 5 languages to translate the papers, to be read by at least 5 eager doctors -- Gujarati, Malayali, Bengali, Oriya, Mizo.

APART from these expected replies : that
* His Holiness has been misquoted by the media or me, or
* been perceived in the wrong context, or
* me having commented prematurely before having gone through the entire speech, or
* me being an obsessed pathological liar,

Please enlighten me. I am absolutely ignorant.

There are at least 27 relevant questions that are in my mind. I don't want to overshoot my mouth off, apart from the natural curiosity about such prospect in Law & other subjects

With respect to all,
Jai Hind.
Sent from my BlackBerry®Smartphone
------------------------------------------------------
Dr.Anirban Chaudhuri M.B.B.S
Consultant Physician (special interest in
Cardiology&Critical Care)
Mumbai, India
------------------------------------------------------
"It is important to just listen for a while instead of speaking." -- My teacher
------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment