Saturday, June 11, 2011

FAREWELL MAQBOOL FIDA HUSSAIN

As you prepare for The Journey, I feel sad that I could not bid you farewell the way I would have wanted to, on Indian soil. But I am sure you will come back home again, to be reborn and in India too, and I am sure India, by then, will have been reborn to greet you. Because you loved India as much as India loved you.

I shall be awaiting your arrival, your deep, bold and sweeping brush-strokes, and for those silent horses to run wild and free, as free as Freedom, through my heart to make me revel, smile and weep.

And there shall be Redemption on that day.

On that day Destiny will bow down to you, to your dreams and laughter so that peace, and happiness and newer dreams shall greet you and inspire you to great heights of the wisdom of Art, setting aside all the misperceptions, scorn, ridicule and fury. For Hatred's sole victim was Art, and that victimized us all.

Your art was one of the many teachers that taught me that Life still follows the same tides and webs : Good things always happen to good people, no matter What, and How, and When. It has always happened so because Life itself doesn't know the answer if Destiny asked it -- Why? I learnt why The Artist goes ahead and seeks the answer to Why, and new eras of Brilliance begin .. For that is the magic, the charm of Life and Art.

The paintings had all -- The Light and the Darkness that balances it out, of Colour and the Shade that make it high and deep ..it taught me the necessity of antithesis in Art, and how complementary antithesis of one created the other and makes its presence felt.

It is the quality of that 'Feeling' that creates an Emotion. Your art reaffirmed for me that we are all children of Nature, and every new emotion arises in Nature. I learnt for life that it is the Artist who upholds the all important Bridge, a bridge so fragile, between Nature and us.

I know now why Art is an inherent part of our entity - one can choose to believe it or ignore it, but one cannot deny it. And that is why the artist shall always be there in our society. It does not follow numbers or rules which are specific to generations. "Amount" of artists is not even remotely equal or close to that ( as close as how it is to be believed by logic).

It is so imperative that I apologise to you on behalf of all of us, those of us Indians who didn't have the courage to bother to connect to you and to stand by your side, every time you lamented in privacy that you were hurt, and you wanted to come back home and that you never thought less of India -- that you are an Indian, and you have the right to explain on what might have gone wrong that hurt certain parts of India so strongly that you were hounded out. We didn't give you the chance, and neither did we speak on your behalf to ones who were hurt.

India boasts of Tolerance. I don't think anything happened on a scale so large to make India so intolerant so that you left India forever. But on your final journey, I wish not to think of anything but bidding you audieu.

Bon Voyage

--- the faceless Indian

Sent from my BlackBerry®Smartphone
------------------------------------------------------
Dr.Anirban Chaudhuri M.B.B.S
Consultant Physician (special interest in
Cardiology&Critical Care)
Mumbai, India
------------------------------------------------------
"It is important to just listen for a while instead of speaking." -- My teacher
------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment